Sunday, March 4, 2012

Religious....Freedom?

A journalist is expected to be one who is independent and one who is objective. Many people, especially us at BYU, are religious and have beliefs that affect everything we do from our home life to our work life. What happens when that religious belief is in conflict with the independence of a journalist? I personally believe that a person shouldn't be judged by what they believe, but in terms of writing a story about it, religion may get in the way. I mentioned my personal opinion in class a while ago that I think if anything that you as a journalist are assigned to report on is in direct contention to what you believe, that you should ask to be off the story. I feel that the work of the journalist in a position where his entire heart is not into the reporting, then the end result is not going to be up to the standard the journalist may previously set. I know if I were to report on a group of anti Mormon's, then I would put them in a light of negativity and hatred, whereas maybe they are just fighting for equal rights when the Mormon church is against gay rights. I don't want to have that story, I would rather have someone else who isnt emotionally involved work on the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment