Journalism is the 4th branch of government, in a way. It watches over everyone to report all that is going on. People need to know the truth about what is going on with our government at all times. Corruption is something that needs to not happen in our government, and journalism has been the cause of one corrupt president resigning from his role as president!
In more modern times, I think of the SOPA/PIPA acts about coming down a lot harder on the internet. From what I have read, people in the government tried to pass these laws quiet in the night so that little publicity would come to them. the fact is that people started to hear about them, and HUGE movements were made online to try to get rid of these things. People have the right to know what is going on in the government, and I think the best way we learn what they are doing in through the media.
One final thought that I have about journalism and democracy, is I feel like it is hard for a single politician to be a favorite with the media. Everyone is always going to not like you, so there is always going to be two sides to every story. People will always see candidates transparently, and will see people for both good or evil.
No comments:
Post a Comment